Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!!!!

I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday and their time off work.  It was a gorgeous day today, perfect for a BBQ or time at the beach.   I decided to spend the day laying back and taking it easy.  It seems I have been on the go for quite some time and I just needed to relax.   That is what a holiday is for, right???

I spent the day playing in the kitchen.....I wanted to experiment with a couple recipes.   I took my regular spaghetti recipe and changed it a bit to try to make it healthier.....instead of beef I used ground chicken breast and also a chicken sausage....it came out great!!!!  (If I do say so myself.....hee hee)    It looks a little different since the chicken is white, but the flavor is great.  I made a large pot so now I have plenty of meals in the freezer!!!  I didn't even eat this for dinner tonight, just wanted to make it so I would have it on hand for later.  I like to let my spaghetti cook all day......I like the liquids to reduce so they get nice and thick!!!!


I also wanted to try a recipe I had seen for Qunioa and Black Bean burgers.  Quinoa is a grain that is very high in Omega's.   I read several recipes and made what ended up being a combination of a couple different ones.  This recipe has Quinoa, Black Beans, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Onions and various spices all mixed together...
It doesn't look that different from hamberger, except for the black beans.   You form it into patties just like hamburgers....

I decided to have this for dinner so I put one on the grill.  It didn't do much and then I realized there is nothing in it to really cook.  The Quinoa is already cooked and there is no fat or anything.  I figured it would just heat thru.    Then I went back and read the recipe and I was supposed to put it in a pan with a little olive oil and lightly fry it.  That crisped it up on the outside, much better.  The inside was heated pretty well.  I made a hamburger out of it and it tasted great.....I think next time I will just use the mixture for taco or burrito filling.  It kinda fell apart, but it still had great flavor.....and alot better for you than a real burger!!!  I know, you think I'm nuts.......

Hope your day off was wonderful!!!



1 comment:

  1. I'm having a hard time believing the "hamburgers" were good -- but I'll take your word for it.

    ReplyDelete