Monday, September 7, 2009

80th Annual Oceanside Labor Day Pier Swim

I survived the Pier Swim!!! Yea!!! I don't know what my time or placement was yet, but should be able to get those numbers in the next week or so. The conditions were perfect, waves were small, temp was just about 75ยบ and the water was soo clear and gorgeous blue!! You could see every ripple in the sandy bottom well before you could touch. Lots of little minnow type fish swimming around, no sharks to be seen. :-) I feel like I was pretty slow, but I gave it my best so we'll have to wait and see.














Here is a picture of the pier and you might be able to see the small orange buoy to the left. There is also one to the right. They are beyond the pier a little ways. We had to swim from the shore and around those buoys - they didn't want us too close to the pier. By the way, those orange buoys are about 8 feet tall.......



Here are some pictures of everyone taking off. They had 3 heats and everyone in each heat wore a different colored cap. My heat was the bright orange caps. There were at least 100 people in the heat, it is crazy when they blow the horn, but everyone seems to spread out pretty quickly.










I have several pics of me crossing the line, but those will stay in my personal collection. hee hee :-) ( I think you can understand why)

Went out to breakfast after the swim, absolutely famished!!! There was a really neat pottery place right next door and I went to check them out and found these smaller wrought iron scrolly things to put on either side of the larger one against the garage wall. I'm gonna try to get the Stephenotis to climb over to them. They match perfectly, just a little smaller. It was a bear to get them sunk in the ground level, had to get the digging bar out and chip away at some rock and concrete!!!! Worth all the work though I think.

Here is an update on the Pineapple Lily. Very different plant. It has not handled the heat very well, I have found it keeled over a couple times. I give it lots of water and put it in the shade. Not sure if you will be able to see the color very well, but each flower has purple in the center.












2 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures, Shel----I wish I could have been there with a towel and a shark hat when you got out of the water!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you could've been here too. It was a gorgeous day, I know you would've enjoyed it!!! Maybe next year????

    ReplyDelete